We currently have access to fruits of all kinds at any time of the year. At any time we can buy and buy virtually any fruit, regardless of the month of the year in which we are or the place of origin of the fruit.
So, why do we talk about seasonal fruit? What benefits does it have for our health to consume these foods?
Why is it better to eat seasonal fruits?
Consuming in each season the right fruit is highly beneficial for health. Among the benefits of consuming seasonal fruit we find the following:
- The seasonal fruit has matured on the tree and has been picked at its point of maturity.
- According to the time of the year in which we find ourselves, nature offers us the fruit we need.
- It favors the sustainability of the planet.
What are seasonal fruits?
Seasonal fruits are those that nature offers us according to the time of year. The cold of winter increases our need to strengthen the immune system. That is why many of the fruits whose season is winter provide us with large amounts of vitamin C. Some of these fruits of winter season are oranges, kiwis, grapefruits…
In contrast, in summer it is hot and our need to stay well hydrated is greater. For this reason, the fruits of the summer season offer us large amounts of water, such as watermelon, melon or pears.
Here we indicate some of the fruits that correspond to each of the seasons of the year:
- Spring: medlar, orange, lemon, strawberry, cherry, kiwi
- Summer: watermelon, melon, peach, black plum , pear, apricot
- Autumn: pumpkin, apple, custard apple, pear, grape
- Winter: orange, tangerine, lemon, kiwi
The seasonal fruit calendar may vary by region. In this case, this small list of seasonal fruits belongs to Spain. Some fruits can appear in two seasons.
Organic fruit and its benefits
The concept of organic fruit is gaining strength in recent times. These are some of the advantages of consuming this type of fruit:
- They are more natural foods that retain all their nutrients.
- The production of organic food (both fruits and vegetables), does not use chemicals or pesticides.
- They are not genetically modified (transgenic).
- Organic fruits have a more intense flavor than non-organic ones. They are better.
In addition to the benefits on those who consume them, organic crops of fruit or vegetables offer other advantages for the environment. The rational use of natural resources, avoiding overexploitation of land, for example, not using pesticides that pollute, sustainable production or contribution to the development of more rural areas, are some of the strengths of this type of crops.