Speaking asleep is one of the sleep disorders that children and adults can suffer, being more common in children. This type of condition is also called Somniloquy and refers to those moments in which during the sleep cycles the person emits sounds that can sometimes even be long conversations.
This type of disorder usually does not require treatment unless it is a disease that requires the intervention of the attending physician although these cases are rare. So if you have spent time talking asleep and you wonder how to stop doing it, in this article: how to stop talking asleep, we will give you a series of tips that can be very useful to achieve it.
Remedies not to talk in dreams
If the fact of talking in your sleep causes you much frustration and you feel that you cannot avoid it in any way, you have to know that something can be done to stop it or at least to happen much less frequently. Pay attention to this series of tips that will undoubtedly help you to achieve it.
It is very important that you establish good sleep habits and that you make sure that you are really sleeping enough to have a good night’s sleep. The mere fact of doing so will reduce the number of times you talk at night considerably. So you should try to have a daily routine in which you have established the hours to go to bed and get up and try not to have many ups and downs with the schedules as this brings consequences to the body so it is more You are likely to feel exhausted during the day and even with some degree of stress and irritability.
But what can you do if you find it hard to fall asleep? Some tips so you can achieve it is to read while lying in bed, avoid watching television, not use your mobile or computer before bed, take a relaxing bath and / or meditate.
Manage your stress levels
The fact that you are stressed all day directly affects the quality of sleep you are going to have, so it is advisable that you try to reduce your daily stress levels so that you stop talking asleep. Some ways to manage the stress of day to day is to carry out relaxation exercises, meditate, go to psychological therapy, carry out relaxing activities, etc.
Use of medications
In some cases where there are very marked problems of sleep and where each time the areas of life of the person are more affected due to not having a restful sleep, it is necessary to consult with the doctor as there are some medications that can manage to achieve it. It is not a treatment where the person has to take medication to sleep for a long time, on the contrary, this type of medication for sleepwalking will help the person to begin to have a regular sleep pattern and likewise achieve Establish a healthy daily routine of sleep.
How to stop talking asleep? More tips
Although this type of condition is not considered as serious, many people who experience it often cause them quite uncomfortable at the time of sleeping with someone, either by the anxiety generated by the knowledge that they are going to Say something inappropriate or for the simple fact that they can wake up the other person. In most cases where this situation occurs, the person does not remember what he said during the night so he is not aware that he is sleeping unless someone else notices and tells him.
Other tips to stop talking in dreams are the following:
- Avoid drinking alcohol before going to sleep. When we consume alcohol at night, especially if it is before going to bed, it makes it considerably harder to fall asleep and therefore increases the chances of us talking asleep. So it is necessary, if we want to have a good night’s sleep and not talk at night, to reduce or totally avoid alcohol consumption at those times.
- Do not eat too much before sleeping. You should avoid heavy dinners at all costs before going to bed as this makes it difficult to have a restful sleep. Therefore it is recommended to dine at least one hour before bedtime and that what we are going to have dinner is light foods.
- Positive attitude. Although it may not seem like it, going to bed with a positive attitude makes it easier to have a good night’s sleep. When we have a negative attitude where we are invaded by thoughts of anguish and worry, we are more likely to have nightmares, sleep problems and even insomnia due to anxiety, which also increases the chances that we will talk in dreams.
Speak in dreams: possible causes
The exact cause of why some people speak in dreams and others do not is unknown, however, it usually turns out to be something totally harmless that does not imply any more serious problem. However, we are not going to rule out that there are some cases that, although they are minimal, could be some other type of serious illness, among the most common are the following:
- Night eating disorder
- Side effects of some medications
- Anxiety disorders
- Fever or other medical condition
- Some type of mental disorder
- Abuse of toxic substances
This article is purely informative, in Online Psychology we do not have the faculty to make a diagnosis or recommend a treatment. We invite you to go to a psychologist to treat your particular case.
If you want to read more articles similar to how to stop talking asleep, we recommend you to enter our category of other healthy life.