Swollen varicose veins are a fairly common problem suffered by people between 35 and 70 years old. It is so common to suffer from this disease that about 70% of the world’s population claims to suffer from it, or have suffered at some time in their lives. Luckily, there are currently a wide variety of treatments that help in the process of inflammation of the varicose veins.
Varicose veins or varicose veins: causes and symptoms
The Varicose veins are swollen veins. Thus, they are the product of the accumulation of blood in the veins due to poor circulation, which causes their dilation and, therefore, their inflammation. These are the causes of varicose veins and their main symptoms, so you can differentiate them from spider veins.
There are many possible causes of varicose veins or swollen veins but, generally, this inflammation can occur for reasons such as overweight, genetic tendency, pregnancy, and continuous use of tight clothing or incorrect footwear, among other possible causes. Expand this information on the causes of varicose veins in this other article.
When inflamed, varicose veins can cause you a lot of discomfort. These are the main symptoms of varicose veins or inflammation of the veins:
- Heaviness in the legs
- Swollen legs
- Poor blood circulation
- Hemorrhages and bruises in the most severe cases.
The good news is that there are several ways to deflate them, reduce them and, in some cases, even eliminate them.
Medications to deflate varicose veins
There are several medications, both oral and topical, that can be used to deflate varicose veins. On the one hand, there are medications that act directly on the walls of the veins, decreasing the effects of inflammation. Among these medications for varicose veins are:
- Topical anticoagulants.
- Flavonoid medications
- Gotu kola extract.
- Ginkgo biloba extract.
On the other hand, pain relievers can also be administered to relieve pain or anti-inflammatories to reduce inflammation.
In more critical cases, the doctor may prescribe oral anticoagulants, if he sees that you may be at risk of thrombosis. I could also give you corticosteroids and diuretics. The latter act in the body eliminating fluids and deflating the legs.
Medical treatments to deflate and eliminate varicose veins
There are also medical interventions to eliminate varicose veins, one of the best options in case you cannot deflate them with other means because it is an advanced state of this problem.
Among these procedures are the treatment of varicose veins with laser, which is performed by introducing an optical fiber into the affected vein to treat it. The red lights of the laser activate the red blood cells and this causes the veins to shrink and the blood to flow better, preventing the blood from pooling and deflating the veins.
Another procedure that you can resort to is sclerotherapy, which consists in producing an irritation in the walls of the veins, with the injection of specific substances for it, causing the inflamed veins to reduce and disappear.
Varicose vein stripping
Stripping or traditional treatment is also an option. With this procedure, veins that are having circulation problems are removed, and performed under general anesthesia. The drawback, apart from anesthesia, is that it requires a long period of rest and recovery.
On the other hand, microsurgery is a less invasive process that deals with eliminating only the pathways of the veins that have been affected. The good thing about this medical treatment is that it does not require much time to fully recover.
How to deflate varicose veins with home treatments
Cure, deflate and even prevent the appearance of varicose veins with homemade methods is possible. But what is good for varicose veins? Here are some cares to prevent and improve inflamed varicose veins that are effective:
- Change your habits:exercising and losing weight, if we need it, is the number one solution to treat the problem of varicose veins. By losing weight and mobilizing the area activating the circulation, the pressure in the veins is eliminated. If you add to this a good balanced diet and low salt, you will also avoid swelling and improve the problem.
- Wear appropriate clothes:start wearing comfortable shoes and do not stay in the same position for hours, especially in the workplace that is where we usually spend more time. Also, do not stand for a long time and try to walk, sit and vary positions to stimulate circulation in the legs. Taking a break on the couch with your legs elevated will also help you greatly.
- Lymphatic drainage:these are massages that have a draining effect of all the liquids that accumulate or retain, so they contribute to improve lymphatic circulation and blood in the legs, relieving inflammation and heaviness caused by varicose veins.
- Cold water baths on the beach:varicose veins are usually accompanied by symptoms such as constant heat in the area and swelling, so baths on the beach are ideal for calming discomfort. Cold water helps counteract these symptoms by producing vasoconstriction, which serves to reduce and deflate varicose veins during that time, providing great relief. If you don’t have a beach nearby, you can dip your legs in bathrooms or in a shower with cold water.
In addition, there are also especially beneficial foods to help you with this problem, such as plants, fruits and oils, whether you eat them or apply them to the skin. Take note of how to treat this problem at home with a natural treatment for varicose veins:
- Garlic: Garlichas very powerful anti-inflammatory properties, among many others, and you can apply it in the form of garlic paste and olive oil, using garlic oil to massage the area and eating a little more at meals regularly.
- Tomato: the flavonoids and antioxidants that this fruit has strengthen the blood vessels, so it should be increased consumption.
- Olive oil: you can massage it in the area of varicose veins to improve this problem, as it is moisturizing and anti-inflammatory.
- Natural juices and infusions: juices, juices and infusions are a good treatment option for people who have inflamed varicose veins. This is because they help eliminate excess fluid because they are usually diuretic, anti-inflammatory and activate circulation.