Each of us is well acquainted with this situation, when an inner voice begins to cause us to feel guilty . He claims that we are doing wrong, that, despite the efforts made, we will never be able to achieve what we want.The inner voice tries to convince us that there is no point in our actions.
As a rule, people suffering from dysthymia (chronic depression) lose interest in life and are constantly in a bad mood. At any event, they react with pessimism, in any news finding an occasion for sadness and despondency.
All these are symptoms of this type of depression . At first, it can proceed in mild or moderate form. But if you do not pay attention to such a problem and do not take any measures to treat it, a person’s condition can greatly deteriorate.
Depending on the intensity of negative emotions experienced (feelings of guilt and bad mood), their impact on human life and our ability to control them, we can talk about a possible depression or just about a difficult life span.
We will get to know more closely the main symptoms of depression.
When feelings of guilt and bad mood become our constant companions
When we do not have time to follow the order in the house, there is a feeling of guilt . It occurs after a conversation with a person whom we did not want to talk to. Guilt worries when we allow ourselves too much to eat. Our mood falls, we begin to feel guilty.
Sometimes we look at our reflection in the mirror and see before us the person who is accompanied by failure.
Such feelings and negative emotions that we experience day after day for several months, unmistakably indicate that something is wrong with us.
None of us can live happily when his constant companion is a sense of guilt, which persistently strikes our backs.
As you know, even Sigmund Freud believed that an exaggerated sense of guilt and self-flagellation are the main signs of depression. Nowadays, magnetic resonance imaging of the brain allows us to know what happens to our brain when we experience such emotions.
Recently, the journal “General Psychiatry” ( “General Psychiatry” ) published the results of the study, during which the study was conducted of how a sense of guilt affects the work of the human brain . The scientists came to the following conclusions:
- For the rationalization and processing of guilt, the temporal lobe of the cerebral hemispheres corresponds. It is this part of the brain that is responsible for human behavior in society and allows us to perceive reality more objectively.
- In people with depression, this part of the brain “rests”, but at the same time there is a higher activity of the site called the subgenital waist cortex.
- When this happens, a person loses the ability to look for causes in the behavior of others. He takes everything at his own expense, begins to look for the cause of all unpleasant situations (when someone angers him, deceives him or hurts him).
Such situations are clearly reflected in the work of our brain and they are fairly easy to identify.
Ignoring this problem can lead to aggressive reactions, a significant decrease in self-esteem , and in the most severe cases – a sense of loss of control over what is happening and a complete loss of interest in life.
This is a very serious problem.
Bad mood every day
The bad mood and the feeling that our life has lost its past colors is another characteristic sign of dysthymia.
- A person, suffering this type of depression, begins to experience apathy and a breakdown.
- He is disturbed by sleep disorders and appetite disorders, there is a desire to avoid contact with surrounding people and at the same time to feel their attention and care.
- As a rule, the genetic factor plays an important role in the development of this form of depression.
The main difficulty lies in the fact that in the beginning a person does not know that something is wrong with him, since depression does not greatly affect the quality of his life.
The person continues to go to work, do household chores, communicate with his family. But at the same time he does not feel happy, does not see the motivation in his actions and actions. This depresses him.
Every day it becomes more difficult for us to get up …
As soon as we have this feeling, we need to turn to a specialist for help and understand that something goes wrong in our life, so we need to make efforts to solve this problem.
Strategies for Every Day
For the treatment of depression, we will need specialist help, therapy, great willpower and support for loved ones .
It is worth noting that each of us needs to find a strategy that best suits us. After all, each of us is unique, so every case of depression is individual.
Yet it will not be superfluous to try every day to follow these simple recommendations:
- Fill your life with movement: be active, find time for exercise and sunbathing. In other words, do not lock yourself in four walls. Often leave the house, do not let life pass by. Move more – this positively affects the work of the brain.
- Give yourself an account of negative thoughts and do not let them grow. Avoid pessimistic “I can not”, “cause in me”, “if it were not for me.”
- Your negative thoughts have nothing to do with reality. Their reason is in your perception of the world, but it is not always objective.
- Try to visualize any changes. Imagine what your life would be like if you perceived the events happening with humor, if your inner world were stable and harmonious.
Do not despair and continue to fight. These images can become a reality, it all depends on your strength of will and desire.