Diet for kidney stones: tips and sample menus


The kidney stones are hard masses that are formed by the accumulation of waste in the urine. The most common are given by excess calcium and oxalate. Discover how to treat them with diet.

If you have kidney stones, you may need to follow a special diet. Therefore, in this article we will give you some tips so you can follow a diet for kidney stones, as well as sample menus.

However, first you must go to the doctor to determine what type of calculations your body produces. Then, from this, the doctor can indicate what changes in the diet are most appropriate.

What is a kidney stone?

Those who have suffered kidney stones say it is more painful than a birth. “It is true. It is a very acute pain.

In 75% of the cases, the kidney stones are expelled spontaneously, while in the other 25% the size of the stone prevents the natural expulsion and an instrumental treatment is needed.

A kidney stone is a hard mass that is formed from crystals in the urine. In most people, the natural chemical compounds in the urine stop the formation of stones.

Remember that not all types of kidney stones are the same. The most common type of kidney stone is formed from calcium and oxalate. And, the individual treatment for kidney stones depends on the type of calculation.

The kidney stones are hard masses that are formed by the accumulation of waste in the urine. The most common are given by excess calcium and oxalate.

Diet for kidney stones

Keep in mind that depending on the type of calculation can vary the diet for kidney stones. Frequently, this condition is due to the accumulation of:

  • Calcium oxalate
  • Calcium phosphate
  • Uric acid
  • Cysteine

1. Foods rich in calcium oxalate

Avoiding excess oxalate in the diet helps prevent mainly the cases of calcium oxalate stonesCalcium is not the main cause of these stones, but if foods rich in oxalate, such as:

  • Spinach
  • Beet
  • Cocoa
  • Chard
  • Rhubarb
  • Refreshments,
  • Teas (like black, mate or green tea)
  • Peanut
  • Coffee
  • Nuts
  • Seafood

These foods should be consumed in small quantities, and an excellent strategy is to use a method called double cooking, which consists of cooking the oxalate-rich vegetables twice, changing the water from the first cooking to reduce in this way the amount of oxalate that contains the food.

2. Proteins in excess

The exaggerated ingestion of proteins like meats or any product of animal origin, favor the production of uric acid and, in turn, the formation of stones.

Consuming too much meat and products of animal origin also affects the formation of kidney stones. It is essential to moderate your consumption.

3. The consumption of salt should be regulated

Sodium is one of the main components of salt, and this facilitates the accumulation of salts in the body, so it should be avoided.

Not only should you avoid common salt, but also those industrialized foods rich in salt such as cubes, English sauce, soy sauce, sauces in general, frozen meals and fast foods. Therefore, it is advisable not to consume more than 2.5 grams of salt per day.

4. Excess of foods rich in vitamin C

Excess foods rich in vitamin C and the intake of supplements should be avoided. Mainly when the calculations are calcium oxalate, because this vitamin can promote the formation of them.

5. Alcoholic beverages

Avoid the intake of alcoholic beverages, because they cause the body to dehydrate by favoring the formation of kidney stones, dehydration being one of the main causes of its formation.

Examples of diet menus for kidney stones

A light menu can help the treatment of kidney stones. The nutritionist can help to design them according to the needs of each patient.

Diet plays an important role in the prevention of stones. That is why here we show you some ideas for a diet for kidney stones that could help you. However, remember that if you have any doubt you should go to your doctor:

For breakfast

  • Option 1: 1 glass of juice with mint + 2 slices of whole wheat bread with white cheese.
  • Option 2: 1 glass of plain yogurt + 1 tbsp. of honey + 2 scrambled eggs with tomato, onion and oregano.

For lunch / dinner

  • Option 1: 1/2 cup of rice + 1/2 cup of beans + 100 g of turkey breast + 1 cup of cooked vegetables +1 tsp. of olive oil.
  • Option 2: 1 plate of chicken soup with carrot, potato, pumpkin, onion.

For the snack

  • Option 1: 1 natural yogurt + 1 tablespoon of cranberries.
  • Option 2: 2 cooked bananas sprinkled with cinnamon.


The most important thing is to increase the intake of fluid to increase the volume of urine. “You have to drink about three liters of water a day to urinate two to two and a half liters and that the salts are more dissolved


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here