Diet for dehydration: what you should keep in mind

0
608

It is proven that our body needs to receive a good percentage of fluids, on a daily basis, to stay active and avoid the risk of dehydration. What foods should be taken?

When the body does not have enough water to properly perform its functions, we are facing dehydration. To prevent this problem (which can also have consequences for health in the medium and long term) we can implement certain measures related to diet.

Every person needs to ingest a quantity of water (depending on their age, weight, and sex) throughout the day. However, this intake should not only come from glasses or cups of water, but also from food.

According to the World Health Organization, 20% of the daily amount of water needed by the body must come from fruits and vegetables.

There are people who should pay more attention to the ways of preventing dehydration since they are more likely to suffer from it if they do not take appropriate measures. This is because, for one reason or another, their bodies spend more money, through sweating, the frequency of urination, and so on.

  • Children
  • Athletes
  • Pregnant
  • Patients with chronic diseases.
  • People of the Third Age. 

These people should monitor even more their water consumption, as well as foods rich in this liquid. Day to day.

Diet for dehydration: foods that cannot miss

The food makes up about 30% of the intake of body fluids; the other 70% is considered to be a product of the beverages consumed. It is important to know which are the solid foods that have the most water to achieve a balanced diet.

Vegetables

Vegetables provide a large number of vitamins and nutrients important for health. Some of them contribute more water than others. Lettuce, for example, is one of the most beneficial in a diet to prevent dehydration. 95% is water and its freshness makes it the best ally of summer salads.

Other vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, and carrots also make their great contributions. The idea is to steam them to maintain all their properties.

There are many very healthy tasty recipes based on these ingredients to make nutritious dishes.

Fruits

Watermelon, citrus fruits, and other seasonal fruits are sources of fluids for the body. In addition to its nutritional advantages, a diet for dehydration helps regulate blood pressure. They can be used as desserts, snacks or juices to accompany.

Some people feel more comfortable drinking fruit juices, also because they have become accustomed to it. There are a lot of alternative preparations, so it becomes a fun elaboration.

Water-based foods

Sauces and soups are other preparations by which the body receives fluids. Similarly, it happens with ice cream or cream, milkshakes, smoothies, etc… It is important to make a diet that includes different options so as not to get bored.

Pasta and cereals

The rice absorbs during its cooking a large amount of water that can make it extensive to the body. It is estimated that the pastes, in their majority, contain 70% of liquids; they have the advantage that they can be eaten hot or cold, as preferred.

Tips to prevent dehydration

Although we do not feel thirsty, this does not mean that the organism does not need to ingest a little liquid. Therefore, we should have a bottle of water always in view to remember to drink a little, every so often during the day.

If we are not accustomed, a good way to drink more water is to opt for infusions, teas or other beverages that are of our liking to get used to incorporate liquids throughout the day.

It is not mandatory to ingest water exclusively. In fact, it is proven that people drink more liquids when they choose that drink they like. Sweet drinks and those with caffeine act positively in a diet for dehydration.

Experts recommend that adults drink around two liters of water (approximately) to avoid dehydration.

What are the symptoms of dehydration?

  • Dizziness
  • Thirst
  • Dry mouth
  • Sickness
  • Headache
  • Dry eyes
  • Muscle cramps
  • Changes in the color of urine, among others.

In short, to avoid dehydration you have to maintain good habits of life, regardless of the time of year. However, during the hottest seasons, it is true that we must be even more attentive to the amount of water we drink. As in everything, prevention will always be the best way to avoid health consequences.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here