Coca is a plant that is considered an alkaloid, such as tea or coffee. One of the alkaloids that it possesses is cocaine, although its content in coca leaves is between 0.5% and 1%. The coca tea is becoming better known because of the benefits to health. This tea is made from the dried leaves of the plant.
If you want to know more about mate or coca tea, its benefits, how to drink it and its contraindications.
Coca leaf tea: properties and benefits
Below, you will find the properties of coca tea and its health benefits:
- Coca leaves are a natural source of vitamins A, B1, B2, and B3, C and E and minerals such as calcium, iron, sodium, potassium and phosphorus.
- They have 14 alkaloids and several tannins, which helps alkalize the body.
- Ingesting coca leaves stimulates oxygenation and, consequently, the respiratory and nervous system, improving oxygenation of the brain and blood, and helps regulate blood pressure.
- Fight iron deficiency anemia.
- It contributes to a good digestion and the expulsion of gases and reinforces the intestinal flora. In addition, it regulates the metabolism of carbohydrates, which is ideal for people who do not digest sugars well.
- It can help relieve pain that comes from arthritis or rheumatism because it has analgesic properties.
- Reduces high levels of triglycerides and cholesterol.
- By stimulating the nervous system through oxygenation, it also helps improve memory, concentration and attention.
- The improvement of oxygenation allows the whole body to function better, even helps to increase physical endurance.
- It prevents urinary tract infections, as it helps clean them.
- It helps regulate appetite, which helps in cases of eating disorders.
- It has diuretic properties so it helps prevent and treat fluid retention.
- Due to the same diuretic properties and its alkalinity, this medicinal plant from the Andean regions eliminates toxins accumulated in the blood and improves the functioning of the liver and helps clean it.
- The vitamins that contain these leaves have antioxidant properties that stimulate and strengthen the immune system.
- In addition to all this, coca tea helps prevent tooth decay and osteoporosis because they are rich in calcium.
Is it legal to drink tea from coca leaves?
As you know, cocaine is not legal and you are sure to ask if coca leaves are. Well, the answer is that coca leaves are legal, since you will not suffer any side effects for your health if you take them in adequate doses. In addition, the uses applied to coca leaves are mainly as a boost to the immune system, as a digestive and to combat altitude sickness, although there are other utilities.
High altitude is called a set of symptoms that occur due to the low levels of oxygen that are when you are more than 3000 meters above sea level. In this way, chewing coca leaves and drinking tea or coca tea increases the absorption of oxygen in the blood.
In addition to the benefits that it brings to health, its cocaine content is very low, as we mentioned above, which means that it does not produce any dependence or toxicity if taken in adequate or normal amounts, so it is completely legal to possess and consumption.
How to drink coca tea – forms and doses
The reality is that there are different ways in which you can drink coca tea. If you wonder how to drink coca tea, take note of these ways of consuming it, as they are the best.
- Can be found coca leaves powder or flour and can be used to flavor dishes.
- You can also buy whole coca leaf sachets for tea making. Add boiling water to the envelope and let it stand 5 minutes before ingesting it. You can do it with both dry leaves and fresh leaves. In this case, the usual dose of coca tea for an adult is a maximum of 2 or 3 cups daily, it is convenient to drink less.
- You can chew the coca leaves. In this case, you will need fresh leaves.
- They are also sold in coca leaf mate
The usual doses and when it should be taken or not and how to ingest it should be indicated by a doctor in each case, as each person may have different needs and other aspects of health to have in the gutter.
Contraindications of coca tea
So, is coca tea totally safe? Nothing is harmless, whether it is synthetic or if it is natural everything has several effects, some more beneficial and others not so much or not, at least, for the purpose we have when taking it, and this usually depends on the format in which it is consumed and the dose or quantity Thus, there are some side effects and, although they are not usually common, you have to take certain precautions before drinking coca tea.
These are the contraindications of coca tea and some precautions to consider:
- Never overdo drinking coca tea, always drink it in normal amounts. Specifically, the normal dose is no more than 2 or 3 cups a day.
- If you are pregnant refrain from ingesting this infusion, as it can cause problems such as defects or malformations in the fetus and abortions.
- Also, if you are breastfeeding, you should not drink coca tea because it could cause serious health problems for the child and even sudden death of the baby.
- If you suffer from asthma, it will be better to discuss it with the doctor beforehand, so that he can tell you if in your case (depending on the degree of asthma and if you take medication or not) it suits you and at what dose or if it is better not to consume.
- If you have serious heart problems, you should also not drink this tea due to the stimulation and the improvement of oxygenation it produces.
- Coca leaves facilitate the metabolism of sugars, so if you are diabetic or have insulin resistance do not ingest them on your own, but you will always have to check with your doctor about their consumption to adjust it with the medication you usually use.
- Avoid these sheets if you are medicated for stress issues, either for hypertension or for hypotension.
As you have seen, coca tea or mate contains many benefits for your body and helps improve your health, but it also has certain side effects, so it is recommended to see a doctor if you want to include this drink in your diet.